Monday, July 9, 2007

Return of the Dark Crystal?


This past weekend I had the great pleasure of attending the largest Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention here in the great state of Minnesota, none other than Convergence. While I was there I attended a panel discussing the possible new film coming out, a sequel to The Dark Crystal, one of my favorite fantasy films of all time. So naturally I hit the net when I got home and there's a great deal of speculation about whether or not they will be doing a good job on it. In 2005 Brian Froud was called in to do conceptual art for the new film, since he did all that work on the original way back when. Now there's some discussion on the IMDb Boards that his involvement in the film is over. Maybe his work is done on the project, but fans WILL tend to pick things to pieces just because they can.

There was much trepidation from the moderator of the panel I was at that there would be too much CGI added in the new film. I think I'll wait for the film to come out before I start passing judgement, and all the artwork looks very Brian Froud Dark Crystal to me, so I don't see any cause to worry at this point. The logo is pretty cool anyway, I only wish they would put it on a girlie t-shirt over at the Cafe Press Jim Henson Company Store. So I'm hopeful and eager to see this new offering come to a theater near me, never mind other peoples voices of doom. Here's the promotional flyer that's come out via Ain't it Cool News.

No comments: