Friday, April 11, 2008

Sense and Nonsense

I just finished watching the conclusion to Jane Austin's "Sense and Sensibility" and it seems somehow both fitting and ironic that Jane never married herself. Her romantic notions breath life into the heart of every longing for love that a woman has, but it seems to me that life doesn't work out that way all the time.

The day to day existence of the modern world doesn't fit with the romantic view of things. People are more cynical nowadays than they were back then, or maybe we're more honest. Often, I meet men who find the decorum of Victorian times to be too much of a restraint on their manly selves. Honestly though, I've rarely met a woman who didn't enjoy Jane Austin's work.

Has loyalty, truth, and honesty taken a back seat to this modern shunning of all things genteel? It seems it has, except among a small group of people...namely women. Since I've been married, I haven't spent nearly enough quality time with my girly girl friends. This is something that I intend to remedy in the near future.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I love the girly girl films...though I prefer the one with Alan Rickman ;)

Beth Hansen-Buth said...

Oh yes, I absolutely agree with you about Alan Rickman. I only saw part of that film, never the whole version. It would be great to see the whole thing.