Friday, March 2, 2012

New Dulcimer Book 2.0

A week ago I finally broke down and ordered Lapidus on Dulcimer 2. It is THE place to get tab/music of Joni Mitchell's four tunes written on the mountain dulcimer from her album "Blue". I fell in love with "Carey" when I saw Cyndi Lauper sing it on a tribute to Joni on TV years ago, and I've always loved "A Case of You" since I first heard it, who knows how long ago now. So I've been aware of this book since it was featured in Dulcimer Player News, added to a very long wish list of dulcimer related items that I want to aquire. I waited patiently...and it finally arrived last night! :)

Since I purchased it directly from the author it is a signed copy. This makes the geek in me quite happy, and the hippy in me loves the story of the book and how it came to be at the back. In just about a week I'll be going to one of my favorite SF&F conventions in town and a friend is hosting a music and gaming room, I plan to sit in on some music circles and enjoy hanging out with other music geeks like me. After that, I will dive in head first and study the book from cover to cover. There are lots of good lessons, chord charts, alternate tunings galore, and songs by all of the cool kids in there.

It looks like I haven't been updating in a while here, I've been very distracted with being distracted. My dulcimer now has a shiney new 1 1/2 fret and I've been happily playing with that, re-learning some of my favorite songs. Not having my dear Mary Ann for about three weeks threw me into a musical tizzy, and I found myself soothing my nerves with my kantele quite a bit. But that's the subject of a completely different post. Suffice it to say, I was thrilled to get my dulcimer back on my lap. She is a darling instrument and she sits quietly each morning in her stand as I sip my coffee and write in my journal. The cats think I'm just sitting and adoring them, but Mary Ann is part of the family as well.

And now I've got a thick juicy book to work through, so Spring is already arrived in my music room. I can't wait to see the flowers start to emerge and bloom to the sound of my dulcimer. That reminds me, I've been wanting to learn The Garden Song since before I got my dulcimer...I'll have to look up the chords for that one.

No comments: