Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Take Down the Dulcimer

"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground."

— Rumi

Well, if it's good enough for Rumi, it's good enough for me! Mornings for me are generally about writing in my journal. My morning pages keep me on track with my life, that way I'm reminded that I don't live to work. Work is a part of my day, not all of my day. In the evening I practice my music. By taking down my dulcimer, I am creating a space of beauty. The songs I am learning are really basic, beginning with some simple things so I can start building that muscle memory. Over time I'll get better, and the music will be more beautiful, and the melody will kneel and kiss the ground.

I do keep running across people online who have fallen in love with this instrument too. Today I found the Dulcimer Girls, and they really have a wonderful way of playing and singing together. The mountain dulcimer is a very welcoming instrument. It's like the girl next door inviting you in for lemonade and cupcakes, hard to resist and adding a sweetness to life. Time to practice.

No comments: