Sunday, April 26, 2009

Musings on Moving

I remember when I moved into my college dorm way back when I first graduated High School. It was my first time away from home for an extended period of time, and I packed fairly lightly since I was sharing a tiny room with a roommate. Not a month went by when I realized that I missed my copy of The Lord of the Rings terribly and I asked my Dad to send them out to me as a care package, along with more of my art stuff. Fandom and fantasy art go hand-in-hand for me it seems. That's why this blog is becoming more focused on the fan part of things, with my art as an expression of that.

Believe it or not, there are fantasy artists out there who don't care a flying fig about the books, movies, and other fantasy artwork out there. They just jumped on the bandwagon and got in tight with a manufacturer and viola! Fake Fantasy Art. If you're a true fantasy fan artist, like me, you started out showing your stuff at the SF&F conventions, because you were going there anyway! But I digress. It seems that anytime I move, or begin a new phase in my life, I re-read The Lord of the Rings. Nowadays, I tend to just watch the movies again because it feeds more of my senses.

When I was painting the rooms in this house, I put my CD from The Return of the King in the boombox and went to work. Now we are just gathering the last bits from the garage at the other house and we are done! All I have to decide is how I will next experience Middle Earth in celebration of the next great adventure in my life, having just one house!

P.S. Please let me know if you like the new masthead for the blog!! ~BHB~

No comments: